(3 August 1860 - after 1901)
|Father||David Stewart Erskin Johnston1 (cir. 1815 - aft. 1901)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Rankin1 (Feb 1827 - aft. 1901)|
|Relationship||2nd cousin 2 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataOliver Johnston was born on 3 Aug 1860 Red House, Par. of Mertoun, BEW, SCT, s/o David Stewart Erskin JOHNSTON and Elisabeth RANKIN.1,2
Oliver Johnston married Mary Nicol on 18 Sep 1896 23 Handown? St, Edinburgh, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT, cert. shows Oliver as a 35 yr old bewery cellarman, s/o David Johnston fisherman, and Elizabeth m.s. Rankin; Mary as 30, dom. servant, d/o James Nicol, horse dealer & Robina m.s. Nicol, both dec'd; both of 14 Hoardlaw? Pl, Edin; Witnessed by Walter Johnston and Elizabeth Nicol, (assumed to be their resp. siblings) reg. 25th Sep at Edin. Marr. by J Bell Nicoll, after publication, Ch of Sct.3
Oliver Johnston died aft. 1901 ?Edinburgh St Michael, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT.4
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1861 showed George, James and Oliver and their sister Margaret in the household of their parents David and Elizabeth Johnston Redhouses, Par. of Mertoun, BEW, SCT, enumerated as JOHNSTON: David 43 fisherman b Dryburgh, BEW; wife Elizabeth 33 b St Boswell, ROX; Children: George 7 scholar, Margaret Wight 6, James 3, all b Dryburgh; Oliver 8 mths b Red House, BEW.2
The census of 1871 showed George, James, Oliver and David and their sisters Elizabeth and Mary in the household of their parents David and Elizabeth Johnston No 1 Schoolmaster Hse, Mertoun, BEW, SCT, enumerated as JOHNSTON: David 56 fisherman b Mertoun BEW; wife Elizabeth 43 b St Boswell, ROX; Children: George 17 ?waldmakers? appren; James 13 shoemaker app; Oliver 10, David 8, Elizabeth 6 all scholars, Mary 2, all b Mertoun; Also boarder William Annett? 26 shepherd b Lillesboy (as transcr by ancestry), ROX.5 It is possible that Oliver Johnston was The Barracks, Godstone, Caterham, SRY, ENG, in 1881 enumerated as Oliver Johnston 20 recruit b SCT, private in The Scots Guards, I've certainly not yet found him anywhere else in the UK.6
Oliver appeared on the census of 1891 Stevensons Bdgs, Stobhill, Par. of Temple, MLN, SCT, as a boarder with George John Rankin and Isabella Rankin enumerated as RANKIN: George 51 bootmaker b St Boswells, ROX; wife Isabella 49 b Kelso, ROX; Children: James 18 barley miller b ?West Morison? BEW; Maggie dressmaker appce 13 b Newstead, ROX; Thomasina C 11, Lizzie B 7, both b Temple Edin; Boarder: Oliver Johnston 30 lab b St Boswells BEW (sic and actually nephew.)7,8
In Sep 1896 Oliver Johnston was a brewery cellarman of 23 Handown? St, Edinburgh, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT.3
The census of 1901 showed Oliver with his wife Mary 10 Tynecastle Pl, Edinburgh St Michael, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT, household enumerated as JOHNSTON: Oliver 40 brewery cellarman b Blue House, BEW; wife Mary 34 b Cockpen MLN; Son David 3 b Edin; Niece/Nephew (Smith): William 19 beer bottler b Glasgow LKS; Jemima 15 rubber worker b Leith MLN (I haven't yet figured out if they are Mary's relations or Oliver's.)4
All the other infoThe only reason for popping this chap out on the web is because I had a chuckle when I found his 1901 census birth place - Blue House, Berwickshire.
The 1861 census shows him, aged one, living with his parents at Red House, Mertoun, Berwickshire. I guess it might have been repainted in the intervening 40 years.8
|Mary Nicol (Jun 1865 - aft. 1901)|
|Charts||William RICHARDSON of Pringlestead, Eckford|
RUNCIMAN of Earlston/Wanton Walls
|Last Edited||21 Nov 2007|
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), JOHNSTON/RANKIN births Batch C117511 1855-1875 6035516 searched Apr 2002.
- 1861 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Mertoun BEW Reg 751 ED 2 Pg 1 Sched 2, hsehold of David & Elizabeth JOHNSTON, extracted Nov 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 1896 Oliver JOHNSTON & Mary NICOL, reg. Dist of St George, Cty of Edinburgh, Dist 685/1 Pg 209 #418, copy d/loaded Nov 2007.
- 1901 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Civil Par. Edinburgh St Michael Dist St George Edinburgh MLN Reg 685/1 ED 150 Pg 19 Sched 97, hsehold of Oliver & Mary JOHNSTON, extracted Nov 2007.
- 1871 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Mertoun BEW Reg 751 ED 1 Pg 6 Sched 19, hsehold of David & Elizabeth JOHNSTON, extracted Nov 2007.
- 1881 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Civil Par. Caterham, Dist Godstone SRY RG11/806 ED "The Barracks" F 54 Pg 10, extracted Nov 2007.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1891 Stobhill, MLN Dist 698/B ED 1 Folio 2 Pg 10 Sched 50, hsehold of George & Isabella RANKIN, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Nov 2007.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.