(1822 - after 1860)
|Father||James Fairbairn1 (cir. Dec 1794 - bet. 1851 - 1854)|
|Mother||Joan Forsyth1 (say 1795 - cir. 1834)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataArchibald Fairbairn was born in 1822 Jedburgh, ROX, SCT, (1841 says not SEL, 1860 says SEL, family say Jedburgh, not obvious on the IGI or the OPRs, but as the family appear to have moved to Selkirk after being in Jedburgh, I'll assume Jedburgh is the more accurate place.)1,2,3
Archibald Fairbairn married Catharine Kemps in 1845 Bridgeport, Fairfield Co., CT, USA.4,5,6
Archibald Fairbairn died aft. 1860 Cuba.2,7
MigrationArchibald Fairbairn immigrated bet. 1841 - 1845 to CT, USA.8,9
Census/Where lived/OccupationsArchibald Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Sloethorn Bank, Selkirk Burgh, SEL, SCT, in the household of James Fairbairn and is assumed to be a son.1,10
Archibald Fairchild appeared on the census of 2 Oct 1850 Dist 13, Chatham Co., GA, USA, with Catharine Fairchild, enumerated as FAIRCHILD: Archibald 28 engineer b SCT ; James L 4, Mary C 3 both b Conn Catharine 24 b Ireland (why positioned after the children? I'm still assuming she's the wife) All were enumerated in same schedule as James Camps, engineer b Ireland and Mary I 19 b Conn and dtr, who are probably some relation of Catharine's.9 Archibald Fairbairn was an engineer on the railroad aft. 1852 GA, USA.8
Archibald Fairchild appeared on the census of 18 Jun 1860 in the Savannah Dist, Chatham Co., GA, USA, with Catharine Fairchild, enumerated as FAIRCHILD: Archibald 38 engineer b Selkirk, SCT; Catharine 35 b Londonderry, Ireland; James 14 3/12, Mary 12 6/12 both b Tramble Co, Conn; Also Martha Gaston, 47 (black) domestic, blind, b Chatham Co, Geo.7
All the other infoArchibald Fairchild is remembered by Grandma Viele "came to America before 1852, settled in Georgia and was an engineer on the railroad. He left Georgia and went to Cuba to keep from being drafted into the Confederate Army. He was murdered in Cuba. Supposedly for his fine jewelry long catch chain of gold and valuable jewelry worn in those days."8 "Grandma Viele" adds that after John arrived in Boston he went down to Georgia where his older brother Archibald was and got on the railroad, Archibald being an engineer. "My father was a fireman. Father saw slavery with all its horrors and expressed his sentiments so strongly, he was forced to leave the country by night. He went north to Aunt Ellen's in Iowa (marr. Robert Safley) and at Aunt Janet's until the Civil War was well near over."11
|Catharine Kemps (1824 - aft. 1860)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
|Last Edited||13 Apr 2018|
- Sanna F Ross (Gaffney), "EM FAIRBAIRN: Borders ex Sanna G," e-mail to Lorna & GenForum FAIRBAIRN, Mar 2001 ex 1841 SEL.
- Melinda NORTON, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Melinda N & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Family of James FAIRBAIRN/Joan FORSYTHE, rcvd (via Betsy) Jun 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Jun 2008.
- 1860 Census images, Ancestry.com, 1860 Savannah District 1, Chatham, GA Roll: M653_115 Pg 36 Image 37 hsehold of Archibald & Catharine FAIRCHILD, extracted Jun 2008.
- 1850 Census images, Ancestry.com, 1850 District 13, Chatham, GA Roll: M432_64 Pg 294 Image 145, hsehold of Archibald & Catharine FAIRCHILD, extracted Jun 2008.
- Www Rootsweb online at http://wc.rootsweb.com/, Andrew LAWLESS & Mary Joan FAIRCHILD, from db (jjflawless), of Jessica ?LAWLESS?, last updated May 2008, extracted Jun 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1860 Savannah District 1, Chatham, GA Roll: M653_115 Pg 36 Image 37 hsehold of Archibald & Catharine FAIRCHILD, extracted Jun 2008.
- Betsy SCHMITT, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Betsy S & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Reminiscences of Melinda's "Grandma Viele", rcvd May 2008.
- USA census images, Various, 1850 District 13, Chatham, GA Roll: M432_64 Pg 294 Image 145, hsehold of Archibald & Catharine FAIRCHILD, extracted Jun 2008.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, SCT1841/778 Selkirk ED 3 Selkirk Burgh F 3 Pg 18, Sloethorn Bank, hsehold of James FAIRBAIRN, rechecked May 2008.
- Melinda NORTON, "Corres. re FAIRBAIRN/SAFELY between Melinda N & LornaHen," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, "Grandma Viele's reminiscences", rcvd Jun 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.