(17 February 1863 - 29 May 1916)
|Father||William Bain4,5,3 (cir. Feb 1834 - Jan 1895)|
|Mother||Jessie Davender (aka Bain)4,5,3 (Aug 1839 - Feb 1887)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 3 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataDiana Berry Bain was born on 17 Feb 1863 Kinnaird St, Pulteneytown, Wick, CAI, SCT, birth cert. shows Diana Berry Bain as d/o William Bain fisherman & Janet Bain (who were married November 14, 1856 at Wick.)3,6,4
Diana Berry Bain married Donald Swanson, son of John Swanson and Anne Sinclair, on 27 Mar 1885 170 Renfrew St, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, Dist 644-7 #103 cert reads: Donald Swanson, 24 of 29 Brown St, Glasgow, s/o John Swanson and ?? Sinclair at 170 Renfrew St, Glasgow, 27 Mar 1885, to Diana Bain, 22, of 12 Wellington St, Wick, d/o William Bain and Jessie Bain. Wit: Robert Shearer and Sarah Jane Brackenridge, Ian A's BAINT004 tree provides Donald's occupation as spirit salesman, grocer, which may or may not come from mar. cert.7,5
Diana Berry Bain died on 29 May 1916 31 Nicolson St, Wick, CAI, SCT, at age 53; Dist 43 #66 cert. reads: Diana Berry Bain, 52, w/o Donald Swanson, grocer, d/o William Bain, maltman, dec, and Janet Bain m.s. Bain, of cardiac disease. Inf. sister Johan Oag, 11 Brown Pl, Wick. Robert B.8 adds that when Diana died her husband Donald was living in Canada.7,9,8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1871 showed Hughina, Margaret, Diana and Matilda in the household of their parents William and Janet Bain Kinnaird St, Pulteneytown, Wick, CAI, SCT, enumerated as BAIN: William 35 fisherman b Latheron; wife Janet 32 b Wick; Children: Hughina 13, Margaret 11, Diana 8, Matilda S S 6 all scholars b Wick.10
Diana Berry Bain appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 Wellington St (10), Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of William Bain and Jessie Bain as daughter of William Bain.4
Donald and Diana Swanson appeared on the census of 5 Apr 1891 109 Claythorn St, Glasgow, LKS, SCT, as entry reads: SWANSON: Donald head, mar, 30, superintendent of sewing m/c salesman, employed, wife Diana, 28, both born Wick, Caithness. Son John, 2, b Glasgow, LKS. 2 rooms with 1 or more windows.6 Diana Swanson appeared on the census of 31 Mar 1901 as wife of Donald Swanson Glasgow, LKS, enumerated as entry reads: SWANSON: Donald head, mar, 40, photographer Suptd, worker, wife Diana, 38, both b. Wick, CAI. Son John, 12, scholar, b Glasgow, LKS. Boarders: David Tait, 22, C??bearer, b Galashiels, Selkirk; Jas McKenzie, 30, sheetmetalworker, b Keith, Moraysh. 2 rooms with 1 or more windows.11
NamesDiana was also known as Donaldina (son John's marriage cert.)7,12
All the other infoDiana Berry Bain was interred with William Bain and Jessie Davender (aka Bain) Wick, CAI, SCT; Lair 288: Jessie Bain 12 Feb 1887, William Bain 15 Jan 1895 both Wellington St. Dtrs: Margaret Bain 1 Sep 1906 12 Wellington St; Diana Swanson 31 May 1916 31 Nicolson St; Grddtrs: Jane S Oag, 9 Jun 1900 Brown Pl; Jane S Oag 23 Oct 1903 11 Brown Pl.8
|Last Edited||15 Nov 2009|
- 2nd forename from birth cert.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0203403 GRO Ref Volume 043 EnumDist 6 Page 12, hsehold of William & Jessie BAIN, extracted c 2000.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Birth 1863 Diana BAIN trans. Robert McC Dec 2002.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, Wick, CAI, FHL Film 0203403 GRO Ref Volume 043 EnumDist 6 Page 12 hsehold of William & Jessie BAIN, extracted c 2000.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Mar. cert 1885 Donald SWANSON to Diana BAIN trans. Robert B. Oct 2002.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1891 Census Search Nov 2002: Dist 644/04 041 page 4 schedule #19 Civil Parish of Barony, Municipal Burgh of Glasgow, Burgh Ward IV, p/copy held by L McIntosh.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, BAINT004, rcvd Jan 2001.
- Letter, Robert B to Lorna Henderson, From the Wick Lairs, held Wick Archive, transcribed by Robert B, received Oct 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth cert 1916 Diana SWANSON nee BAIN, trans. Stuart H Jul 2003.
- 1871 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, Via Ancestry.com, Pulteney, Wick, CAI Reg. 43/2 ED 6 Pg 44 Sched 184, hsehold of William & Janet BAIN, extracted Nov 2009.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, 1901 Census Search Nov 2002: Dist 644/04 030 page 19 schedule #106 Civil Parish of Glasgow, Municipal Burgh of Glasgow, Burgh Ward ?Calson?. p/copy held by L McIntosh.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 4 May 1910 John SWANSON & Alexandrina MOWAT, Dist of Blythswood, Glasgow, LKS 644/10 #464, copy d/loaded Nov 2009.
- C'Wealth War Graves online at http://www.cwgc.org/, Dth 3 May 1917 John SWANSON, s/o Donald and Diana SWANSON, h/o Alice, Winnipeg, Private 875048, commemorated Vimy Memorial, Pas de Calais, France, extracted Nov 2009.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.