(circa 1846 - after 1901)
|Father||William Creber1 (Jul 1799 - Apr 1874)|
|Mother||Betsey Dawe1 (cir. Nov 1806 - May 1876)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataSarah Creber was born cir. 1846 Marystowe, DEV, ENG.1,2,3
Sarah Creber married Edward Spurr, son of William Spurr and Phillipa UnknownSurname, in May 1870 Cuyahoga Co., OH, USA, the date/place coming from the 1870 USA census, after quite a search, including the images of the English marriages, to no avail, which I now understand why. Wonder why and how, she ended up in Ohio and married Edward there?4,5,6,3,7
Sarah Spurr died aft. 1901 ?Chatham, KEN, ENG.
MigrationSarah and Edward Spurr arrived New York, NY, USA, on 28 May 1874; from Bristol on the Great Western, passenger list showed them as SPURR: Edward 30, carpenter; Sarah 28 wife; William 3 child; Percy C 6mths, infant.8
Census/Where lived/OccupationsThe census of 1851 showed Mary and Sarah and their brother Edward and their step-brother Samuel Gale in the household of their parents William and Betsy Creber Longapark Cottage, Marystowe, Tavistock, DEV, ENG, enumerated as CREBER (indexed on ancestry as Cuber): William, head, 57, ag lab b. Marystow: wife Betsy 40, ag lab wife, b Lamerton. Children: Samuel (Gale), 11, at home; Mary 7, scholar; Sarah 5; Edward 10m all b Marystow, DEV (but indexed as Marystow, CON).9,10,11
The census of 1861 showed Sarah as a 15 yr old b Marystow living with her brother Edward in the household of her parents William and Betsey Creber Warren Hill, Par. of Marystowe, DEV, ENG.12
Sarah Spurr appeared on the census of 10 Jun 1870 as wife of Edward Spurr East Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH, USA, enumerated as SPUR(sic): Edward 26 carpenter and joiner; Sarah 24 keeping house, both b ENG. Married May 1870.5
The census of 3 Jun 1880 showed Sarah with her husband Edward, their sons Percy and William, their dtr Ethel 82 Burt St, Cleveland, Cuyahoga Co., OH, USA, household enumerated as SPURR: Edward 36 carpenter; wife Sarah 34 keeping house both b ENG as were both sets of parents; Children: William H 9 b OH, Percy J 6 b ENG, both at school (next pg) Ethel M 4 b OH.6
Edward and Sarah Spurr appeared on the census of 1891 Stoke Lodge, Stoke D'Abernon, SRY, ENG, as SPURR: Sarah, 44 b Marystow, married; Edward, 46 living on own means b S Heliers, Jersey (visitors to Martha Fraser.13)
The census of 1901 showed Sarah with her husband Edward, their dtr Ethel 6 Albany Tce, Chatham, KEN, ENG, household enumerated as SPURR: Edward 57 living on own means, b St Heliers, Jersey; wife Sarah 55 b Marystow, DEV; Dtr Ethel 25 b Ohio, USA.3
All the other infoI do so love it when a genalogical hunch pays off. I'd been looking to see what happened to Sarah after the 1861 census when she was with her parents. The only Sarah of the right age and birthplace that kept coming up in my searches was a Sarah Spurr, wife of Edward. After following this latter family thru the assorted records, and nearly paying money for the birth cert of a Percy John C Spurr whose birth was registered in the Tavistock District in 1874, I finally found the marriage of Sarah Creber to Edward Spurr in the Cuyahoga County probate court records in Ohio which confirmed her maiden surname.14
|Edward Spurr (cir. 1844 - aft. 1903)|
|Charts||My direct DAWE line|
|Last Edited||6 Apr 2010|
- Lois Saleeba (19674), "EM DAW: Tavistock, ex Lois S," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, DAW(E) FTree, rcvd Dec 1999.
- Bob Gale, "GALE, John/DAWE, Betsy descendants."
- 1901 Census, ENG, Via Ancestry: Chatham, KEN ED 40 RG13/7239 Folio 76 Pg 35 Sched 232, extracted Jan 2006.
- DAW(E) www searches & misc. corres. Marr. 1870 Sarah CREBER and Edward SPURR, Vol 0015 pg 0398 pg match 06, from the Probate Court of Cuyahoga County, Ohio (http://probate.cuyahogacounty.us), index extracted Jan 2006.
- USA census images, Various, 1870: East Cleveland, Cuyahoga Cty East Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio; Roll: M593_1192; Page: 282; Image: 565, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- USA census images, Various, 1880 Cleveland, Cuyahoga, Ohio; Roll: T9_1008; Family History Film: 1255008; Page: 199.2000; Enumeration District: 49; Image: 0605, extracted Jan 2006.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1870 Edward SPUR(R) and Sarah CREBER, Jun qtr images searched Jan 2006.
- USA Immigration Records ex Ancestry New York passenger lists: May 1874 "Great Western" (#66-69), extracted Jan 2006, Microfilm Serial: M237 Microfilm Roll: 390 List Number: 528 Port Arrival State: New York.
- Peter & Jill BILLING (24911), "METTERS, Devon: ex P & J BILLING," e-mail to L HENDERSON (1), rcvd Feb 2000.
- Devon, Warwick and Norfolk, 1851 UK census CD-ROM, PRO Ref HO/107/1884 Folio 302 Page 12 FHL film 0221033.
- 1851 Census (images for ENG, transcriptions for SCT), UK, via Ancestry.com, Marystow, DEV ED 5b HO107/1884 Folio 302 Pg 12 Sched 44, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Marystow, DEV ED 11 RG9/1464 Folio 97 Pg 2 Sched 10, copy d/loaded Jan 2006.
- 1891 Census, Various, Via Ancestry: Stoke D'Abernon, SRY ED 5 RG12/548 Folio 101 Pg 16, extracted Jan 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jan 2006.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.