(3 April 1830 - 30 July 1882)
|Father||George MacAdie2,3,4 (cir. May 1803 - Sep 1883)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Rosie3,2,4 (cir. 1806 - bet. 1871 - 1881)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataWilliam McAdie was born in 1830 Wick, CAI, SCT.5
William McAdie was born on 3 Apr 1830 Killimster, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT.2,1 He was baptized on 24 Feb 1832 Wick, CAI; entries for 24th Feb (IGI has 2 Mar 1832) include these two baptisms for children of George McAdie and Elizabeth Rosie, reading:
McAdie George, Grieve at Killimster, had by his wife Elizabeth Rosie a son born Decr 14th 1831 & bapd James. - Witt. David Farqhuar, Farm Servant at Killimster & Margaret Leith there. - Also a son born April 3rd 1830, & bapd William - Witt. Jean McAdie in Windlass & Donald Scott, Servant in Ackergill.1,6
William McAdie married Sarah Jane Abbott on 3 Jun 1857 in the District Ch of St Peter, Par. of Stepney, MDX, ENG, cert. shows William as 26, HM Customs, s/o George McADIE, farmer; Sarah Jane as 21 d/o Charles Carrell ABBOTT, clerk Inland Revenue; Both were resid. 2 Maria Terrace; Wit: Charles C & Rebekah ABBOTT (Kate advises father and sister to Sarah.)7,8,9
William McAdie died on 30 Jul 1882 Boleyn Rd (7), Upton, Dist of West Ham, ESS, ENG, at age 52; cert. shows William George as 52, Custom House Officer; c.o.d. cancer of stomach 9 mths & ?dropsy?; Inf. son C McADIE present at death, 7 Boleyn Rd, Upton.10,11
Census/Where lived/OccupationsWilliam McAdie appeared on the census of 1841 Hillhead, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George McAdie and Elizabeth McAdie and is assumed to be a son.15,2
It is possible that William McAdie was Glasgow St David, LKS, SCT, in 1851 this being, to date, the only candidate for William son of George and Elizabeth (ROSIE) McADIE in 1851. If so he is as a joiner in Glasgow, lodging in the hsehold of a MacKAY couple from Sutherland and Caithness. No obvious family connection as yet. However the occupation seems unlikely. We do know that the Glasgow joiner is unlikely to be the joiner William son of George and Margaret (LEVACH) McADIE though, as he was at home with his parents in that census.16 It is possible that William McAdie and James Bain were 18 Margaret St, Glasgow St David, LKS, SCT, in 1851 MacKAY: John 41 breaksman on railb Bover Fa, SUT; wife Janet 40 b Thurso, CAI; Children: Catherine 9 b Barbead, Renfrewshire; Alexander 6 scholar, Janet 4, Murray 3, William 1 all b Glasgow; Lodgers: James BAIN 22 shoemaker b Bower; William McCADIE 21 joiner b Wick;
However, for this to be the William who married Sarah ABBOTT, he has to have gone from farmer's son to joiner to Customs officer, which seems an unlikely, although not impossible, career path.17,18
William McAdie appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Mile End Old Town, Par. of Trinity, LND, ENG, with Sarah Jane Abbott, enumerated as McADIE: William 31 outdoor officer HMC b Caithness, SCT; wife Sarah I 25 b Deal, KEN; Children: Ellen A 3 b Ratcliffe, MDX, Alice L A 3 mos b Bow, MDX; Visitor: DARACHA, gentleman's servant b Bombay.19
William McAdie was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1871 2 Longfellow Rd East, Mile End Old Town, Par. of Trinity, LND, ENG, with Sarah enumerated as McADIE: William 40 outdoor officer H M Customs b Edin SCT; wife Sarah A 35 b Deal, KEN; Children: Elizabeth A 13 b Stepney MDX, Alice I A 10 scholar, Charles 6 scholar, William G 3, Laura M M 6mos, all b Mile End.7
The census of 1881 showed William with his wife Sarah, their sons Charles, Albert and William, their dtrs Louisa and Ada Boleyn Rd 7 Margaret Tce, West Ham, ESS, ENG, household enumerated as McADIE: William 51 officer customs, b Caithness, SCT; wife Sarah Jane 45 b Deal, KEN: Children: Charles 16, William G 13 scholar, Louisa 6 scholar, all b Mile End MDX; Alfred 2 b Plaistow ESS; Ada M 6mos b ?Upton?, ESS.20
NamesWilliam McAdie was also known as William McAdie.5 As of 1882, William McAdie was also known as William George McAdie.10
All the other infoWilliam McAdie married to Janet MURRAY in 1853, with a son John, either AUS or SCT and William McAdie the son of George McADIE and Elizabeth ROSIE, with them in 1841 at Hillhead in 1853 are possibly the same person.21
Another potential duplicate of William McAdie is William McAdie; living Ararat, Ripon VIC in 1874 at whose residence Jessie, who would be a niece, gave birth to Harold Henderson McADIE; the other the son of George McADIE and Elizabeth ROSIE, with them in 1841 at Hillhead.22 Yet another possible duplicate for William is William McAdie one with HM Customs in London, married to Sarah ABBOTT, father George, a farmer; the other the son of George McADIE and Elizabeth ROSIE, with them in 1841 at Hillhead (thought there was a better match with George/Margaret, George being s/o William and Susannah (MILLICAN) but he died single in Forres).
It is highly possible that the one married to Sarah is George and Elizabeth's William, but I'd be happier if I could definitively find him in 1851, and/or rule out the one married to Janet MURRAY, and the one living in Ararat (VIC) in 1874 (who may be one and the same William.)16,5
External linksClick here to see William's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.23
|Sarah Jane Abbott (cir. 1836 - aft. 1881)|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
|Last Edited||24 Dec 2018|
- Danielle ROSS, "EM McADIE/ROSIE ex Danielle R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 24 Feb 1832 William (born 3 Apr 1830) & James (born 14 Dec 1831) sons of George McADIE & Elizabeth ROSIE, Par. of Wick, CAI 032/0040 0265, copy rcvd Feb 2010.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Wick, CAI SCT1841/43 ED 4 Pg 15 hsehold of George & Elisabeth McADIE, extracted May 2006.
- MacADIE and variants: births christenings marriages, International Genealogical Index (IGI).
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jan 2001 McADT002.
- Kate TERRY, "EM McADIE, William (Wick) ex Kate T," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Family of Maud Caroline McADIE, rcvd Mar 2009.
- MacADIE and variants: births christenings marriages, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Birth 3 Apr 1830 Bap. 2 Mar 1832 William s/o George Mc ADIE & Elizabeth ROSIE, batch C110432, Wick, extracted pre 1999, rechecked Feb 2010.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Trinity, Mile End Old Town, LND RG10/560 ED 6 F 132 Pg 23 Sched 145, hsehold of William & Sarah McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1857 Q2 William McADIE & Sarah Jane ABBOTT, reg. Stepney, LND 1c/922 , extracted Mar 2009.
- Kate TERRY, "EM McADIE, William (Wick) ex Kate T," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 3 Jun 1857 William s/o George McADIE (farmer) & Sarah Jane d/o Charles Carrell ABBOTT (Clerk Inland Revenue Office), District Church of St Peter, Par. of Stepney, MDX, copy rcvd Apr 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1882 Q3 William George McADIE, aged 52, reg. West Ham, ESS, 4a/32, extracted May 2013.
- Ancestry.com - Family Trees online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 30 Jul 1882 William George McADIE, aged 52, reg. West Ham, ESS, copy d/loaded from kateterry_1 tree, Jun 2013.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2009, updated Sep 2018.
- Rob MacADIE (34329), "EM MacADIE, Rob," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1 May 1865 William MacADIE, Sunnyside, Montrose Asylum, Forfar, rcvd Mar 2009.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Birth 1874 Harold Henderson McADIE, reg. Ararat #13336, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- Sue Collins nee McIntyre, "EM McADIE/BREMNER ex Sue C," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, Hillhead, Wick, hsehold of George & Elizabeth McADIE, extract rcvd May 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2009, reviewed Feb 2010.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Glasgow St David, LKS Par. 644/1 ED 14 Pg 15 Sched 99, hsehold of John & Janet MacKAY, extracted Feb 2010.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2010.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Trinity, Mile End Old Town, LND RG9/295 ED 16 F 153 Pg 17 Sched 79, hsehold of William & Sarah J McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, West Ham, ESS RG11/1720 ED 37 F 138 Pg 35 Sched 177, hsehold of William & Sarah Jane McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jul 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", May 2006.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun 2013.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.