(circa 1821 - 23 October 1883)
|Father||Walter Fairbairn (cir. May 1785 - Jan 1859)|
|Mother||Agnes Robinson (cir. 1786 - Apr 1863)|
|Relationship||3rd great-aunt of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataMargaret Fairbairn was born cir. 1821 Morebattle, ROX, SCT, according to the 1851 census, but her death cert implies 1819.1
Margaret Fairbairn married Joseph Broomfield, son of Andrew Broomfield and Margaret Skirving, on 11 Sep 1841 St Cuthberts, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.2,3
Margaret Broomfield died on 23 Oct 1883 Barony St, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT; her dth cert reading: aged 64, at Barony St, Edinburgh of cardiac disease, bronchitis. Widow of Joseph Broomfield, bootmaker, dtr of Walter Fairbairn, farm grieve (!), dec. and Ann (sic) Robertson, dec. The informant was her son-in-law George Hunter. (I have disregarded the Ann given as her mother, substituting Agnes, because of the family knowledge that links dtr Agnes as cousin to Adam Davidson, whose mother was Agnes Fairbairn, Margaret's sister. In addition "farm grieve" is a somewhat grander occupation for her father than the "scavenger" that appears on one of Walter's certificates.)4,5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsMargaret Broomfield appeared on the census of 30 Mar 1851 as wife of Joseph Broomfield Gilmour St, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, enumerated as BROOMFIELD: Joseph, journeyman shoemaker, Margaret 'wife'. Children: Andrew, Agnes scholars, Joseph son.7
Margaret Broomfield appeared on the census of 1861 Candlemaker Rd (88), Edinburgh New Greyfriars, Dist of St George, MLN, SCT, with Joseph Broomfield, enumerated as BROOMFIELD: Joseph 41 bootmaker - cutter b Kelso, ROX; wife Margaret 41 b Morebattle, ROX; Children: Agnes 19 milliner b Morebattle; Andrew 16 printer compositor, Joseph 11, Walter 8, scholars; Margaret 3, Alison 8 mos, all b Edin.8
Margaret Broomfield appeared on the census of 1871 Richmond (21), Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Dist of Newington, MLN, SCT, enumerated as BROOMFIELD: Margaret 52 shop keeper b Morebattle, ROX; Children: Agnes 24 hat trimmer b Morebattle; Joseph 21 pastry baker "Hapitan"??, Walter 18 watch maker, both b Cannington, Edin; Margaret 13 envelope stamper, Alice 10 scholar, both b St Cuthberts, Edin.9
Margaret Broomfield appeared on the census of 3 Apr 1881 at 8 Barony St Edinburgh St Mary's, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, in the household of George and Margaret Hunter as mother-in-law of George Hunter.10
All the other infoMargaret outlived her husband Joseph Broomfield who died on 24 Jan 1868.3
External linksClick here to see Margaret's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|Joseph Broomfield (cir. Mar 1820 - Jan 1868)|
John & Bessie (FFLINT) FAIRBAIRN
Ancestors & siblings of Les Henderson
|Last Edited||11 Dec 2016|
- 1851 Census, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, Extracted pre 1999.
- FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), FAIRBAIRN/BROOMFIELD marriage, batch M119899-?-1066765, extracted 1996.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1868 Joseph BROOMFIELD, Edinburgh: Dist 685/3 #104, transcr. Stuart H, rcvd Feb 1999.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1883 Margaret BROOMFIELD nee FAIRBAIRN, Edinburgh Dist 685/2 Cert #585, transc. Stuart H, rcvd Apr 1999.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", From research, Apr 1999.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Researched 1996 to 1999.
- 1851 Census, Edinburgh, MLN, SCT, Edinburgh, MLN, hsehold of Joseph & Margaret BROOMFIELD, extracted pre 1999.
- 1861 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Edinburgh New Greyfriars, Dist of St George, MLN, Reb. 685/1 ED 1 Pg 14 Sched 82, hsehold of Joseph & Margaret BROOMFIELD.
- 1871 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, Dist of Newington, MLN, Reg. 685/5 ED 17 Pg 17 Sched 10, hsehold of Margaret BROOMFIELD, extracted Jan 2010.
- 1881 Census transcripts, UK, via Family Search/LDS CDs, FHL Film 0223998 GRO Ref Volume 685-2 EnumDist 87 Page 14, extracted c 2000.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Oct 2011.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. cert. 1874 Robert ADDISON and Agnes BROOMFIELD, p/copy held.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. cert. 1871 Andrew BROOMFIELD and Catherine LEVACK, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Jul 2004.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Marr. cert. 1877 Walter BROOMFIELD to Catherine HOOD Dist 685/5 #386 trans. Stuart H. Oct 2002.
- GRO, SCT, BDM searches at GRO SCT: Dth 1892 Walter BROOMFIELD, transcr. Robert McC, rcvd Mar 2005.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.