(circa 1795 - 19 June 1846)
BMDB dataJames Fairbairn was born cir. 1795 Morebattle?, ROX, SCT, date derived from h/stone (51 in 1846), which fits with the 1841 census age of 45 given the rounding in that census. NB the bap. on the IGI of 10 Dec 1794 at Morebattle is the baptism of James s/o Archibald and Alison, not this James. It is included in an ancestral file submission which cannot be changed.1,2,3,4,5
James Fairbairn married Mary Bell Thomson, daughter of George Thomson and Jean Wallace, on 12 Dec 1822 Eckford, ROX, SCT, entry in Eckford reads: Decr 12 James Fairbairn in the parish of Eckford & Mary Bell Thomson in the parish of Ancrum gave up their names for proclamation in order to marriage Given to the poor 1/-". The cash book for Ancrum shows an undated Dec entry (immediately preceding one was a ditto for the 8th, but there's no ditto on this one): J Fairbairn in Eckford & Mary Bell Thompson this Do Do (Parish of - but doesn't look like Ancrum) 7d.6,7
James Fairbairn died on 19 Jun 1846 prob. at Morebattle, ROX, SCT; aged 51.2 He was buried with Mabel Thomson Morebattle, ROX, SCT, #104: "IMO James Fairbairn who died 19.6.1846 aged 51 years and of Mabel Thomson his wife who died 25.3.1867 aged 71 years."2
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIn Dec 1822 James was living in the Par. of Eckford, ROX, SCT.7
James Fairbairn appeared on the census of 1841 Morebattle, ROX, SCT, with Mabel Fairbairn, enumerated as FAIRBAIRN: James, labourer, 45, Mabel 45, Robert 15. All b. county.1
All the other infoJames Fairbairn was considered as a potential duplicate of James Fairbairn, but this has been discounted; one the son of Archibald and Alison, the other married to Mary Bell Thomson, they cannot be in two places at once in 1841, one with children Alison, Archibald etc, the other with wife Mabel and son Robert.10
External linksClick here to see James's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.11
|Mary Bell Thomson (cir. 1791 - Mar 1867)|
|Charts||James & Mary Bell/Mabel (THOMSON) FAIRBAIRN|
|Last Edited||14 Mar 2018|
- 1841 Census, Borders, SCT, LDS Film, Morebattle, ROX, SCT1841/801 ED 1 F 1 Pg 9, hsehold of James & Mabel FAIRBAIRN, rechecked Mar 2008.
- Borders FHS, MIs: ROX Morebattle, #104 James FAIRBAIRN & Mabel THOMSON, rechecked Mar 2008.
- Online search: assorted surnames, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Bap. 10 Dec 1794 James (AFN: 243D-1CQ) s/o Archibald FAIRBAIRN & Alison CROSSER, Morebattle, ROX, Ancestral File Submission: submitter Mrs NEES, Olympia, WA after 1978.
- Mrs Shari Nees (55491), "FAIRBAIRN/THOMSON/BUNYAN ex Shari NEES," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 10 Dec 1794 James FAIRBAIRN, Morebattle, ROX, rcvd Jun 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Conclusions", Jun 2008.
- FAIRBAIRN, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. Dec 1822 James FAIRBAIRN & Mary Bell THOMSON, 8th Ancrum (batch M117805), 12th Eckford (batch M117874), ROX, extracted 1998.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 12 Dec 1822 James FAIRBAIRN (Par. of Eckford) & Mary Bell THOMSON (Par. of Ancrum), Par. of Eckford, ROX Par. 787/A00 0020 0104, copy d/loaded Jun 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", Mar 2008, updated Jun 2008, and Feb 2009.
- Morebattle, ROX: Gateshaw Associate Session & Free Church Records: Item 4 (Gateshaw 1775-1907) & 8 (Free Church 1847-52), Bap. (at Caverton Mill) 4 Oct 1824 Robert s/o James FAIRBAIRN & Mable (sic) THOMSON, extracted Jul 2008.
- Lorna Henderson, "FAIRBAIRN Analysis", bef 2002, updated Jun 2008.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Fairbairn-1185, added Mar 2018.
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Birth 21 Jul / Bap. 21 Sep 1824 Robert s/o James FAIRBAIRN & Mabel THOMSON, Eckford, Dist 787, copy d/loaded Mar 2008.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.