(14 December 1831 - after 1884)
|Father||George MacAdie3,4,1 (cir. May 1803 - Sep 1883)|
|Mother||Elizabeth Rosie1,4,3 (cir. 1806 - bet. 1871 - 1881)|
|Relationship||1st cousin 4 times removed of Lorna Henderson|
BMDB dataJames McAdie was born on 14 Dec 1831 Killimster, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT.2 He was baptized on 24 Feb 1832 Wick, CAI, SCT; entries for 24th Feb (IGI has 2 Mar 1832) include these two baptisms for children of George McAdie and Elizabeth Rosie, reading: McAdie George, Grieve at Killimster, had by his wife Elizabeth Rosie a son born Decr 14th 1831 & bapd James. - Witt. David Farqhuar, Farm Servant at Killimster & Margaret Leith there. - Also a son born April 3rd 1830, & bapd William - Witt. Jean McAdie in Windlass & Donald Scott, Servant in Ackergill.2 Some sources show James as born cir. 1836 CAI, SCT, this being from his age at emigration in 1854 as 18. By 1868 at his second marriage he said he was 28. James has found the elixir of youth!5,4 He was baptized on 25 Jan 1841 Wick, CAI; entry has not been checked, but definitely exists - why?3,1
James McAdie married Isabella Bruce, daughter of James Bruce and Catherine UnknownSurname, on 21 Apr 1854 Wick, CAI.6,4
James McAdie remarried on 29 Aug 1868 Goram Park, VIC, AUS, to Christina McLennan, daughter of Kenneth McLennan and Anne McLeod, cert. shows James as 28, farmer b Caithness, SCT, widower, wife died 1863, 2 children from former marriage still living (so what about the third?); s/o George McADIE, farmer & Elizabeth m.s. ROSS (sic); Christina as 22, spinster, b Lewis, SCT; d/o Kenneth MacLENNAN, farmer, & Ann m.s. McLEOD; Presb. ch, both signed, Wit: Donald ?McDonald?, Catherine McLENNAN (assumed to be Christina's younger sister.)7,4
James McAdie died aft. 1884 ?Werribee, VIC, AUS.8,9
MigrationJames McAdie and Isabella McAdie immigrated in Dec 1854 to Melbourne, VIC, AUS; both indexed as aged 18, from Greenock.5
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames McAdie appeared on the census of 1841 Hillhead, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George MacAdie and Elizabeth McAdie and is assumed to be a son.11,12 James McAdie appeared on the census of 31 Mar 1851 Hillhead West, Par. of Wick, CAI, SCT, in the household of George MacAdie and Elizabeth McAdie as son of George.9,13 By Mar 1884 James was living Werribee, VIC, AUS, when dtr Catherine married in March. He was shown as a farmer in Aug 1884 when dtr Dolina married at Coghill's Creek - neither the newspaper notice nor the cert. showed him as "late".8,14
NamesIn 1841 his surname was recorded as MacAdie (for his 2nd baptism), and also at his 1854 marriage.3,6
All the other infoJames McAdie and James McAdie cir. 1868 were possibly related, one the son of George & Elizabeth (ROSIE) McADIE, born 1831 Wick, the other buried Ararat Cem. in 1889, aged 21.15
James McAdie was considered as a potential duplicate of James McAdie Ararat, VIC, AUS, in Jan 1881 One being a 47 yr old hotelkeeper buried at Ararat in 1881, the other James, son of George & Elizabeth, marr. to Isabella BRUCE and Christina McLENNAN. This latter is now documented as still alive in 1884 - so who was the hotelkeeper James?10,14
External linksClick here to see James's page on WikiTree, a (free) collaborative on-line tree.16
|Isabella Bruce (cir. 1835 - 1863)|
|Christina McLennan (cir. 1844 - )|
|Charts||Descendants of my direct McADIE line|
|Last Edited||27 Aug 2014|
- Births deaths marriages index (pre 1855): Scotland, Birth/Bap.? 25 Jan 1841 James s/o George McADIE & Elizabeth ROSIE, Wick, CAI, 043/00 0040 0374, extracted Jan 2001 , Microfiche and http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk
- Danielle ROSS, "EM McADIE/ROSIE ex Danielle R," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 24 Feb 1832 William (born 3 Apr 1830) & James (born 14 Dec 1831) sons of George McADIE & Elizabeth ROSIE, Par. of Wick, CAI 032/0040 0265, copy rcvd Feb 2010.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Bap. 25 Jan 1841 James s/o George MacADIE & Elizabeth ROSIE, Wick, CAI, rcvd Jan 2001 McADT002.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 29 (28?) Aug 1868 James (widower since 1863) s/o George McADIE & Elizabeth ROSS (sic); Christina d/o Kenneth McLENNAN & Ann McLEOD, VIC, copy d/loaded Jun 2013.
- Ancestry.com online at http://search.ancestry.com, "Earl Of Eglington" Dec 1854 James McADIE, 18, from Greenock, to Melbourne, from Victoria, Australia, Assisted and Unassisted Passenger Lists, 1839–1923, extracted May 2013.
- MacADIE and variants: births christenings marriages, International Genealogical Index (IGI), Marr. 1854 James MACADIE and Isabella BRUCE, batch M110434, extracted Sep 2006.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Marr. 1868 James McADIE & Christina McLENNAN, VIC, ref. 3171, extracted Jan 2000.
- Trove - Digitised Newspapers, Marr. 26 Mar 1884 Catherine Isabella Bruce d/o James McADIE of Werribee, Traralgon, VIC, from Family Notices. (1884, April 4). Traralgon Record and Morwell, Mirboo,Toongabbie, Heyfield,Tyers and Callignee Advertiser (Traralgon, Vic. : 1883 - 1886), p. 2 Edition: morning, online at, from http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article71544865, extracted Jun 2013.
- Sue Collins nee McIntyre, "EM McADIE/BREMNER ex Sue C," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1851 Census, Hillhead, Wick, hsehold of George & Elizabeth McADIE, extract rcvd May 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jul 2006, updated Jun 2013.
- Sue Collins nee McIntyre, "EM McADIE/BREMNER ex Sue C," e-mail to L Henderson (1), 1841 Census, Hillhead, Wick, hsehold of George & Elizabeth McADIE, extract rcvd May 2006.
- FreeCensus, UK online at http://www.freecen.org.uk/, 1841 Wick, CAI SCT1841/43 ED 4 Pg 15 hsehold of George & Elisabeth McADIE, extracted May 2006.
- Ian AITCHISON, "EM CAI families ex AITCHISON," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Jan 2001 ex 1851 census Parish 43-1, Enum dist 27 /04/27/106.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Marr. 1884 Dolina McADIE and Albert FRANK, Coghills Creek, #4610, copy d/loaded Sep 2006.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Jul 2006.
- WikiTree online at http://WikiTree.com/, Jun 2013.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Birth 1859 Catherine Isabella Bruce d/o Jas McADIE & Isabella BRUCE, reg. #8332, Terang, VIC, extracted Jul 2006.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Birth 1871 William James s/o James McADIE & Christina McLENNAN, Darlington, VIC, ref. 23054, extracted Jan 2000.
- Index of births, marriages and deaths, Birth 1873 Emily Ann Victoria d/o James McADIE & Christina McLENNON, ref. 16340, extracted Jan 2000.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.