(1830 - 30 July 1882)
|Father||George McAdie1 (say 1805 - )|
BMDB dataWilliam McAdie was born in 1830 Wick, CAI, SCT.1
William McAdie married Sarah Jane Abbott on 3 Jun 1857 in the District Ch of St Peter, Par. of Stepney, MDX, ENG, cert. shows William as 26, HM Customs, s/o George McADIE, farmer; Sarah Jane as 21 d/o Charles Carrell ABBOTT, clerk Inland Revenue; Both were resid. 2 Maria Terrace; Wit: Charles C & Rebekah ABBOTT (Kate advises father and sister to Sarah.)2,3,4
William George McAdie died on 30 Jul 1882 7 Boleyn Rd, Upton, Dist of West Ham, ESS, ENG; cert. shows William George as 52, Custom House Officer; c.o.d. cancer of stomach 9 mths & ?dropsy?; Inf. son C McADIE present at death, 7 Boleyn Rd, Upton.5,6
Census/Where lived/OccupationsIt is possible that William McAdie and James Bain were 18 Margaret St, Glasgow St David, LKS, SCT, in 1851 MacKAY: John 41 breaksman on railb Bover Fa, SUT; wife Janet 40 b Thurso, CAI; Children: Catherine 9 b Barbead, Renfrewshire; Alexander 6 scholar, Janet 4, Murray 3, William 1 all b Glasgow; Lodgers: James BAIN 22 shoemaker b Bower; William McCADIE 21 joiner b Wick;
However, for this to be the William who married Sarah ABBOTT, he has to have gone from farmer's son to joiner to Customs officer, which seems an unlikely, although not impossible, career path.10,11
William McAdie appeared on the census of 7 Apr 1861 Mile End Old Town, Par. of Trinity, LND, ENG, with Sarah Jane Abbott, enumerated as McADIE: William 31 outdoor officer HMC b Caithness, SCT; wife Sarah I 25 b Deal, KEN; Children: Ellen A 3 b Ratcliffe, MDX, Alice L A 3 mos b Bow, MDX; Visitor: DARACHA, gentleman's servant b Bombay.12
William McAdie was shown as the head of the household in the census of 1871 2 Longfellow Rd East, Mile End Old Town, Par. of Trinity, LND, ENG, with Sarah enumerated as McADIE: William 40 outdoor officer H M Customs b Edin SCT; wife Sarah A 35 b Deal, KEN; Children: Elizabeth A 13 b Stepney MDX, Alice I A 10 scholar, Charles 6 scholar, William G 3, Laura M M 6mos, all b Mile End.2
The census of 1881 showed William with his wife Sarah, their sons Charles, Albert and William, their dtrs Louisa and Ada Boleyn Rd 7 Margaret Tce, West Ham, ESS, ENG, household enumerated as McADIE: William 51 officer customs, b Caithness, SCT; wife Sarah Jane 45 b Deal, KEN: Children: Charles 16, William G 13 scholar, Louisa 6 scholar, all b Mile End MDX; Alfred 2 b Plaistow ESS; Ada M 6mos b ?Upton?, ESS.13
NamesAs of 1882, William McAdie was also known as William George McAdie.5
All the other infoWilliam McAdie and William McAdie are possibly the same person one with HM Customs in London, married to Sarah ABBOTT, father George, a farmer; the other the son of George McADIE and Elizabeth ROSIE, with them in 1841 at Hillhead (thought there was a better match with George/Margaret, George being s/o William and Susannah (MILLICAN) but he died single in Forres).
It is highly possible that the one married to Sarah is George and Elizabeth's William, but I'd be happier if I could definitively find him in 1851, and/or rule out the one married to Janet MURRAY, and the one living in Ararat (VIC) in 1874 (who may be one and the same William.)14,1
|Sarah Jane Abbott (cir. 1836 - aft. 1881)|
|Last Edited||5 Jun 2013|
- Kate TERRY, "EM McADIE, William (Wick) ex Kate T," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Family of Maud Caroline McADIE, rcvd Mar 2009.
- 1871 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Trinity, Mile End Old Town, LND RG10/560 ED 6 F 132 Pg 23 Sched 145, hsehold of William & Sarah McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Marr. 1857 Q2 William McADIE & Sarah Jane ABBOTT, reg. Stepney, LND 1c/922 , extracted Mar 2009.
- Kate TERRY, "EM McADIE, William (Wick) ex Kate T," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Marr. 3 Jun 1857 William s/o George McADIE (farmer) & Sarah Jane d/o Charles Carrell ABBOTT (Clerk Inland Revenue Office), District Church of St Peter, Par. of Stepney, MDX, copy rcvd Apr 2009.
- Www FreeBMD ENG online at http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl, Dth 1882 Q3 William George McADIE, aged 52, reg. West Ham, ESS, 4a/32, extracted May 2013.
- Ancestry.com - Family Trees online at http://search.ancestry.com, Dth 30 Jul 1882 William George McADIE, aged 52, reg. West Ham, ESS, copy d/loaded from kateterry_1 tree, Jun 2013.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2009.
- Rob MacADIE (34329), "EM MacADIE, Rob," e-mail to Lorna Henderson, Dth 1 May 1865 William MacADIE, Sunnyside, Montrose Asylum, Forfar, rcvd Mar 2009.
- BDM: VIC, AUS, Birth 1874 Harold Henderson McADIE, reg. Ararat #13336, copy d/loaded May 2006.
- 1851 Census transcripts, Scotland, via Ancestry.com, Glasgow St David, LKS Par. 644/1 ED 14 Pg 15 Sched 99, hsehold of John & Janet MacKAY, extracted Feb 2010.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Feb 2010.
- 1861 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, Par. of Trinity, Mile End Old Town, LND RG9/295 ED 16 F 153 Pg 17 Sched 79, hsehold of William & Sarah J McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- 1881 Census images, England & Wales, via Ancestry.com, West Ham, ESS RG11/1720 ED 37 F 138 Pg 35 Sched 177, hsehold of William & Sarah Jane McADIE, extracted Mar 2009.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Mar 2009, reviewed Feb 2010.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.