(say 1795 - before 1827)
BMDB dataJames Wight was born say 1795 ?Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.1
James Wight married Lidia Aitken, daughter of George Aitken, on 30 Jun 1820 Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, SCT, entry in the Register of Proclamations reads: James Wight Smith ?Sun hall? & Liddia Aitken, daughter of the late James Aitken, residing ?Tynecastle? Toll, that they are unmarried persons and not within the forbidden degrees of consanguinity, and have resided in this Parish for the space of six weeks previous to the above date (30 Jun 1820) is certified by William Moffat Elder as per certificate.2,3
James Wight died bef. 1827 ?Edinburgh, MLN; assuming he died rather than divorced.1
Census/Where lived/OccupationsJames Wight was blacksmith cir. 1820 ?Edinburgh, MLN, SCT.1
All the other infoJames Wight son of William Wight and Elizabeth Richardson and James Wight the one who married Lydia Aitken are possibly the same person The evidence is purely circumstantial as this later James' dth preceded civil registration. However, he was a blacksmith, as was James maternal grandfather, and Lydia's family have connections with later Wight branches. If so, married 1820, d. bef 1827, blacksmith Colinton area.
Then throw in a DNA match between a descendant of James and a descendant of his presumed/likely brother Walter....4,5
|Lidia Aitken (cir. 1799 - Jul 1861)|
|Charts||James WIGHT/Lydia AITKEN|
|Last Edited||8 Jan 2018|
- Letter, Sue PORTER (30297) to L McIntosh (1).
- Scottish BMDB entries (to 1854), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Marr. 30 Jun 1820 James WIGHT (smith, ?Lunhall?) & Liddia (Tyncastle Toll) d/o late James AITKEN, Edinburgh St Cuthberts, MLN, 685/02 0400 0167, copy d/loaded Jul 2016.
- Letter, Sue PORTER (30297) to L McIntosh (1), Marr. 30 Jun 1820 James WIGHT & Lidia AITKEN, St Cuthberts, Edinburgh (but had father as George?).
- DNA matches/info ex Ancestry.com online at http://dna.ancestry.com, DNA matches to descendant of James WIGHT marr. Lydia AITKEN between: two descendants of Walter WIGHT, James' brother, and one descendant of their sister Isabella, rcvd Dec 2017.
- "Lorna's Family History Musings", Updated Jan 2018.
- Scottish BMDB entries (from 1855), http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/index.php, Dth 7 Apr 1900 James s/o James WIGHT & Lydia AITKEN, wid./o Beatrice DOUGLAS, reg. Dist of St George, City of Edinburgh, MLN, 685/01 #499, copy d/loaded Jul 2016.
E. & O. E. Some/most parish records are rather hard to read and names, places hard to interpret, particularly if you are unfamiliar with an area.